Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Some questions about ID

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Some questions about ID Empty
PostSubject: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 am

Do you know the ID of this plant, please:

Photo 1:
Some questions about ID 6Avg113Small
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 12:17 pm

I'd suggest that it is Mammillaria crinita. There are many forms of that species, some with pubescent spines, and with a wide range of radial spine counts. This one could be, but I am not certain, M. crinita ssp wildii.

I did give some thought as well to M. jaliscana ssp zacatecasensis, but the flowers don't look right to me, and it has too few radial spines, which if it were that species shoul dbe yellower than the 10 or so white radial spines are on your plant.

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Thank you Chris, it seems to be Mammillaria crinita ssp. wildii!

Last week I just bought new Mammillaria , salesman told me that is Mammillaria crinita too, you can see it on the ''Photo 2''. I am not sure, is this another Mammillaria crinita?

Photo 2:
Some questions about ID MammcrinitaSmall

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 4:03 pm

I think it probably is crinita as well, especially if you follow the more lumping tendency.
If it has light cream flowers, then it is pretty certain to be so.

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 5:02 pm

I'll wait flowering to be sure and make some photos. I am pretty sure that this plant will make some flowers this year because there are some old/dry flowers on it, maybe from last season... just need to wait until summer.

Also, I am expecting better growing and form because the ''Photo 2'' Mammillaria crinita got the ''full sun'' place on the shelf.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Here is another my question about 2 plants. I got it a year ago and I am not sure about correct ID.

Those are the names which I got from the salesman:

Escobaria dasyacantha and Mammillaria formosa ssp. pseudocrucigera... Are those correct names? If something is wrong, please write the correct ID.

Photo 3:
Some questions about ID Nnn

Photo 4 i Photo 5:
Some questions about ID K3 Some questions about ID Nn
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 6:08 pm

Well, for a start, neither are Escobaria dasyacantha!

Sop what are they? both are Mammillarias, I believe. and with the dasyacantha in mind, I'd suggest that photos #4 and #5 show Mammillaria laui ssp. dasyacantha.

Photo #3 does not show M. formosa ssp pseudocrucigera, but looks to me like some form of M. heyderi, but with no central spine. This one is a bit confusing and I don't know for sure.

Hopefully ohers will give their views and we'll resolve this problem plant.

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 9:07 pm

ID please:

Photo 6:
Some questions about ID NnMammillaria
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2012 11:23 am

And ID for this plant please:

Photo 7:
Some questions about ID 3Jun123Small
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi!

ID for plants No 6 i 7, anybody?

...and ID for this please:

Photo 8
Some questions about ID Nncvetnapijaca_zps37b524a2
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi,
No 8 is Mammillaria bombycina.

No 6 might be M. rekoi, but not sure.

No 7 is one that I don't immediately recognise. The spines suggest it is one of the Stylothelae, but the flower is quite a dark pink for that Series. Some plants do come to mind - M. crinite f. variabilis; M. jaliscana (there are pink flowered plants and yellow flowered plant sof this species); M. erythrosperma (but the spines don't look dark enough, but...)

Sorry I can't be clearer on those two.

delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:15 pm

hi zokins, No8 this is m. bombycina

No6 possibly m. longiflora?

no7 looking again like your earlier plants of crinita which has been crossed with m. zeilmanniana to produce the red flowers. There has been some similar plants around our local garden centres recently with no names. Have spoken to some members of my club who have bought this plant,like me, and we will call them m. crinita subsp.zeilmanniana (white spined) or yellowish. Having said all this m. crinita can have pink to red flowers sometimes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 6:15 am

Thank you guys!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Is this Mamm. schiedeana? I bought it with that name.

Photo 9
Some questions about ID Mammschiedeana_zpsf9d44a94
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Hi Zokins,

Your plant is not schiedeana but probably m. carmenae.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Definitely M. carmenae.

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Thank you!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2013 5:53 am

Here I am again, with new plants, ID needed Very Happy

Photo 10
Some questions about ID IMG_1498Small_zps44b7ae00

Photo 11
Some questions about ID IMG_1495Small_zps4e1a0b4b
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some questions about ID   Some questions about ID Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some questions about ID
Page 1 of 1