Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is this a mammillaria ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Is this a mammillaria ? Empty
PostSubject: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Could not identify this plant. Is it a mammillaria ?

Andreas

Is this a mammillaria ? Dsc00912

Is this a mammillaria ? Dsc00916
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 10:19 am

I think it´s not a mammillaria
Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:02 pm

I thinks it's a Rebutia recovering from a bad attack of Red Spider Mite.
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm

One key character to identify a Mammillaria is the axil. This is at the base of the tubercle in Mammillaria, whereas in many other genera it is joined into the areole.

PostSubject: Re: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 6:06 am

This is good to know Chris. perphaps you can show a picture of what you mean so that it will be more clear to me. Maybe show a picture ?

Andreas
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 am

Take a look at item 5 of this article, which has images as well. I hope it explains the differences in function and in location.

Questions

PostSubject: Re: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 2:14 pm

OK what I understood is that in mammillarias and only in mammillarias the spines are produced at the tip of the tubercle while the flowers and new growth will be produced at the axil and not on the tip of the tubercle. I will need to check this when I go home tonight.

Therefore this will imply that on all the rest of the Cactus species the flowers will be produced at the tips of the areoles or anywhere else except the axil. Also this implies that unless you are familiar with the characteristics of the various Mammillarians the only way to be 100 % sure is to see the location of the flower.

Andreas
Back to top Go down
agrippa

agrippa

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2012 3:04 am

Looks like a Rebutia to me too. I don't see any down or flower remnants between tubercles of this plant.

Flowers and fruits of Coryphanthas and Escobarias also appear from the groove and not from the areole but on the top of stems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this a mammillaria ?   Is this a mammillaria ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this a mammillaria ?
Page 1 of 1