Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Please need id on these two mammillarias

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Please need id on these two mammillarias Empty
PostSubject: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 am

Can someone identify these two mammillarias?

Andreas

https://i.servimg.com/u/f40/17/10/61/14/mammil19.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f40/17/10/61/14/mammil20.jpg

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi,
I think that the first (mammil19) is a pink flowered form of Mammillaria bocasana. I am not sure if it is a naturally found form or a cultivated form.

Please need id on these two mammillarias Mammil19

The second (mammil20), I think, is a form of Mammillaria decipiens, maybe albescens.

Please need id on these two mammillarias Mammil20

By the way, to put your images inline with your message, select the middle link of the dialogue box, or else put the link between square brackets with img between them at the start, and square brackets with /img between them at the end.
Others may like to suggest thier views on these plants, which look nice.

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 7:34 pm

I also think , the first is M. bocasana and the second is Mammillaria decipiens albescens Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 5:47 pm

If you have a look at the topic" 3 mammillarias that need identification" you will see that the third plant which is the same as the second plant in this topic was identified as mammillaria decipiens ssp. camptotricha, "bird nest cactus". Therefore which one is correct ?

Andreas
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2012 6:11 pm

I think Maurillio has the last two plants in his reply to the "Three Mammillarias....." the wrong way round, I am sure it was just a simple error in numbering the plants, as he knows his Mamms very well.

M. decipiens ssp. camptotricha or the Bird's Nest Cactus has a tangle of spines, often curled, from 2 to 8, all radial.
M. decipiens ssp. albescens has straight white spines, often with no centrals or just one short one.
M. decipiens fma marnier-lapostelle is a bit like a mix of the two.
M. decipiens ssp. decipiens has typically a darker green body and brown central spines.

The flowers are pretty much the same, pale, cream or white.

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks for explaining it all Chris. If I understood correctly their ID should be as follows and I would be grateful if you can confirm:

This one should be M. decipiens ssp. albescens

Please need id on these two mammillarias Mammil23

M. decipiens ssp. decipiens

Please need id on these two mammillarias Mammil24

And this last one should be M. decipiens ssp. camptotricha or the Bird's Nest Cactus. In Greek campto means to bend, therefore this would mean bend spines. Also on this one the top spines are a lighter color than the ones at the base.

Please need id on these two mammillarias Mammil25
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 am

Yes to your first photo, ssp. albescens.
The second is, I think a rather sparesely spined form of ssp. camptotricha. You can see that some spines are curved (or bent!), but not a lot. I does not have the dark brown central od ssp decipiens.
The last is a cultivar, probably not a naturally occurring form, that, as Maurillio said, I think, earlier, f. marnier-lapostelle.

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 10:41 am

I am still confused so what I will do is that I will take more recent pictures of the 3 plants and come back again. Thanks for your help.

Andreas
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm sorry if I have confused you. If you can explain what you are unsure about, please do post more photos and I will try to help again.

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Lets start with M. decipiens ssp. albescens. It has a lot of spines that are straight never bend. Sometimes there is a central spine and sometimes not. The center spine is always longer that the others. Axial spines are whitish while the central spine becomes yellower as it gets to the tip.

This is the first plant and we agree on the naming.

Now to the second plant

It never has a central spine and the number of spines very from 3 to 4 never more (That is on the plant that I have. Maybe on more mature plants there might be more). There are less mammals on this plant (That is fewer than M. decipiens ssp. albescens). There seems to be a space between the group of the center mammals and the outer mammals. The spines are slightly bend. Therefore this one is M. decipiens ssp. camptotricha or the Bird's Nest Cactus.

The thrid plant.

This is much easier since the spines are more curled than the second plant. The spines on the top mammals are always a lighter color than the outer mammal spines. This is Mammillaria camptotricha marnier-lapostollei.There is no central spine. The description can be seen here

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMILLARIA/Mammillaria_camptotricha/Mammillaria_camptotricha_marnier-lapostollei/Mammillaria_camptotricha_marnier-lapostollei.htm

You also mentioned M. decipiens ssp. decipiens which I do not have so I cannot comment.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Yes, that is right. I'm glad to got to the answer!

Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Here is a photo of my M. decipiens ssp decipiens FO-140. The central spines are straight and long, but a little lighter than the formal description gives.

Please need id on these two mammillarias P3270010

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 5:42 pm

Me too.

Andreas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please need id on these two mammillarias   Please need id on these two mammillarias Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please need id on these two mammillarias
Page 1 of 1