Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mamm TL 742

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Mamm TL 742 Empty
PostSubject: Mamm TL 742   Mamm TL 742 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 12:51 pm

I recieved the seedlings below from Wolter last year has M.compacticaulis TL 742.
I do not have the location, but these plants look more like duoformis / nunezii with there hooked central spines.

Mamm TL 742 1174_110
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mamm TL 742 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mamm TL 742   Mamm TL 742 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 1:50 pm

TL742 is from Los Reyes, Michoacan.
Mammillaria compacticaulis shouldn;t have hooked spines. The Reppenhagen collection Rep 1047 from Barranca Honda, Michoacan has straight spines. I saw this plant in Barranca Honda, south of Uruapan in 2010 and there were no signs of hooked spines either.

I woud agree with you, Tam, that this plant has more of duoformis about it than compacticaulis. The link is to a page on Cactus-Art.com .

Here's the plant in habitat:

Mamm TL 742 Compac10

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Mamm TL 742 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mamm TL 742   Mamm TL 742 Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 8:51 pm

I have these plants labelled as aff. compacticaulis TL 742. Apparently, Thomas Linzen was not completely sure about the status and therefore added aff. to it.
My seedling plants also form hooked centrals when they get larger.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down

Mamm TL 742 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mamm TL 742   Mamm TL 742 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 7:14 am

Wolter, is it possible to get a photograph of the plant in habitat from Thomas ?
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Mamm TL 742 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mamm TL 742   Mamm TL 742 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:22 pm

I will ask Thomas Linzen for a photo.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Mamm TL 742 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mamm TL 742   Mamm TL 742 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 4:21 pm

I have contacted Thomas Linzen about his TL 742.
His (translated) response was as follows:
"I only have 2 or 3 locality photos which I want to use myself. The attached photo shows a somewhat larger seedling plant, with some final flowers on it.
I am uncertain about the name. I searched for M. compacticaulis, and for forms of M. nagliana at the same time. The Los Reyes location, as Chris points out, lies NW of Uruapan, already close to the border of Michoacan to Jalisco. It is the extended area of M. bambusiphila, compacticaulis, xaltianguensis.
The flower of TL 742 is red, the fruits are green, and the population is probably self-fertile (my plant regularly produces fruits). 4 to 6 central spines are formed, one of them (the lower one) can be hooked occasionally. On older plants this spine is usually straight, only in young plants it is hooked, but later (as said) it is only very rarely hooked. My seedlings too had a hooked lower central spine when they were young.
The area where it grows, the green fruits, the self-fertility, it all speaks against M. duoformis, more likely it is a member of the group around M. bambusiphila/xaltianguensis. Quite clearly, it is not the typical M. compacticaulis, as described by Reppenhagen. That's why I added the prefix aff. However, I think that it is closely related to M. compacticaulis."
I hope that this info and the attached photo of a larger TL 742 plant are useful.

Wolter.

Mamm TL 742 M_aff_10
Back to top Go down

Mamm TL 742 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mamm TL 742   Mamm TL 742 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 11:08 am

Hi Wolter,

Many thanks for taking the time to obtain this information. Very interesting.
I sse more of aff. xaltianguensis (longer spines, esp the lower one ) than compacticaulis but will wait for Thomas's write up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mamm TL 742 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mamm TL 742   Mamm TL 742 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mamm TL 742
Page 1 of 1