Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

who clears up this mystery

Go down 
AuthorMessage

who clears up this mystery Empty
PostSubject: who clears up this mystery   who clears up this mystery Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Here is a little mystery for you. Who will solve this riddle. It's not that easy it looks like..

who clears up this mystery Dscn7211

Good luck!

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: who clears up this mystery   who clears up this mystery Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 4:46 pm

It would, of course, be far too easy to say it is a spineless cultivar of M. luethyi. So I won't!

The heads look quite small, but as it is some montrose form, I don't think one can base anything on this. The odd thing is that I can't see the axils, the tubercles are so tight together.

So, no answer at the moment.......

PostSubject: Re: who clears up this mystery   who clears up this mystery Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 8:32 pm

It looks like it might be one of those hybrid M.gracilis that originated in Spain a few years ago, althought those plants did have a few short central spines.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: who clears up this mystery   who clears up this mystery Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Very good answers Chris and Tam.

Tam, I guess you speak about Mammillaria gracilis cv Arizona Snow Cap. I did expect this answer. And you're right this cultivar have short spines. But without reading-glasses I can't see the difference.

Chris, yes it's a montrose form and you're right that it's impossible to identify the mother plant.

The origin of this mutation is Mammillaria albicoma. It's amazing how similar those cultivars looks.
Here is a picture of the Snow Cap and one of the whole M.albicoma.

Thank you for your contributions.

who clears up this mystery Dscn7212

who clears up this mystery Dscn7214
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: who clears up this mystery   who clears up this mystery Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

who clears up this mystery
Page 1 of 1