Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Please, help me identify my Mammillaria

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Please, help me identify my Mammillaria   Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 9:41 am

Hi, my name is Jonathan, I'm from Mexico and I'm an incipient addict to Mammillarias. They're so beatiful that I just want them all. However I'm not so good in that technical part of identification. Recently, I bought this Mammillaria (four pictures below), but I'm not sure if it is a Mammillaria sheldonii or another specie. Hope you can help me with this.

Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Mammil10

Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Mammil11

Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Mammil12

Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Mammil13

In another forum, some members told me it is a blossfeldiana while some others told me it is a fraileana. I'm really not sure of that identifications. Razz

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Please, help me identify my Mammillaria   Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 am

Hi Jonathan, and welcome to the Forum. The hook spined Mammillarias are often quite difficult to identify without any flowers to help. Without flowers one has to look at body shape, size, spines and whether there is woll or bristles in the axils. Unfortunately these are all variable aspects!

However, your plants is, I believe, is sheldonii. My reasoning is:

M. fraileana has 3 or 4 central spines, one of which is hooked, and I can only see one central spine on your plant. These spines are also usually dark brown, whereas your plant's spines are much lighter in colour. When it flowers you can be pretty sure, because M. fraileana has pale pink/white flowers with a darker stripe. and a long pink stigma.

I am also sure that it is not M. blossfeldiana, which also has more central spines, more radial spines and is a much smaller plant altogether, not ofsetting so much. Its flowers are very distinctive, being very striped with white and pink.

M. sheldonii is a variable plant, and it can have as few as 1 central spine or up to 4, one hooked. It has radial spines from 9 to 24, and are pale. tipped with brown, although I have seen in habitat plant sthat have almost white spines and some with spines almost as dark as M. mazatlanensis. When it flowers, it should have pink flowers, but with a greenish-yellow stigma.

Having mentioned M. mazatlanensis, it is an outside possibility that your plant might be this, as it also is a variable plant and replaces M. sheldonii as you go down the Gulf og Cortez coast from Sonoroa into Sinaloa. However the flowers are different yet again, being larger and a much darker and uniform pink to purple colour, with stigmas that are the same colour.

But I would bet on it being M. sheldonii.

PostSubject: Re: Please, help me identify my Mammillaria   Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi, Chris. I think you're right!

My Mammillaria had flowers, and they were vivid pink precisely (with that greenish-yellow stigma). What you said about pale pink/white flowers in fraileana and stripped flowers in white and pink in blossfeldiana, vanished them as candidates. My mammillaria had really vivid pink flowers and anything of white. I live in Mexico City and this winter is being really cold, even indoors. I guess that, because of that reason, my mammillaria lose all the flowers it used to had. However, I can confirm that color in the flowers.

Another important aspect to consider is that if fraileana and blossfeldiana have more central spines, then my plant is pretty far from having more than one central spine (the hooked one).

M. mazatlanensis was also rounding my head days ago, but the flowers of my plant were not so dark but also not so pale (as in fraileana).

I think I feel better now that I found someone else who bets with me it is a M. sheldonii!

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Cactusero incipiente on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding signature.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please, help me identify my Mammillaria   Please, help me identify my Mammillaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please, help me identify my Mammillaria
Page 1 of 1