Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria rozcekii

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria rozcekii Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria rozcekii   Mammillaria rozcekii Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I have bought two plants ofM.rozcekii this year and both are quite elongated.All pictures I have seen in different mammillaria fora have shown small globular plants.Are my plants victims of low light growing or is this something that happens with plants growing in culture?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rozcekii   Mammillaria rozcekii Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Goodnight Thorn. I have only one Mammillaria rozcekii. I grow on a terrace, but with direct sunshine most of the day. It does not seem elongated to me. I'll try to add a picture, so you can judge.

Mammillaria rozcekii Mammil14
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rozcekii   Mammillaria rozcekii Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 8:01 am

Thank you for the answer,Kissifrot.Seems that my plants have been grown under less favorable conditions.Since all my plants are standing outside in the garden in the summer I´ll just hope that myplants will stop growing lengthwise and fill out a bit santa
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rozcekii   Mammillaria rozcekii Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 3:11 pm

I have a coupl eof M. roczekii plants, one which I grew from seed and another on a graft. The one from seed is reasonably round, but the grafted one has bigger and longer stems.
Sometimes nurseries graft difficult or rarer species from small seedlings and then take off the graft and root htme down, so they can they sell as "own roots" which tends to command a higher price. It is possible that your plant has come from this kind of cultivation. Hopefully given a bit of time and good light, it will become a more typical shape.
But the heads will get longer as the plant ages. It is, after all, just a variety of M. saboe, whose smaller heads do elongate with age and as the plant clumps up with many heads.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rozcekii   Mammillaria rozcekii Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

My plants of this ssp. have a strong tendency to elongate as well. The illustrated plant is grown from seed and not grafted.

Wiebe

Mammillaria rozcekii Mamroczekiidsc0217a
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rozcekii   Mammillaria rozcekii Icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Thank you Chris and Wiebe for your answers.
Thord
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rozcekii   Mammillaria rozcekii Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria rozcekii
Page 1 of 1