Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mammillaria meyranii

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

mammillaria meyranii Empty
PostSubject: mammillaria meyranii   mammillaria meyranii Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am

mammillaria meyranii is described with two central spines, why all pictures i have seen, present many more central spines?

this is my mammillaria meyranii ML 48

mammillaria meyranii 2579-m13

this plant is labelled ML 48 and come from an italian greenhose near reggio emilia.

chris davies one in an old post about meyranii

mammillaria meyranii Pict7110

and this is an old photo of hugo de cook on mammillaria.net

mammillaria meyranii Meyran10
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

mammillaria meyranii Empty
PostSubject: Re: mammillaria meyranii   mammillaria meyranii Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 5:56 pm

A very interesting question!

The photo of one of my plants was labelled originally as M. guerreronis Lau 1096, but after a lot of discussion it seemed closer to M. meyranii than anything else, despite its rather numerous central spines.

However.....take a look at this plant, M. meyranii Rep 969

mammillaria meyranii Pict1616

and a crop of this photo showing the head on the right....just abut clear enough to count centrals......

mammillaria meyranii Pict1617

On the larger head and the younger darker head, there are 4 cenral spines, but on the right hand head there are mostly just 2.

The only conclusion I can come to is that (assuming the experts ...Lacoste..Reppenhagen...Lau) are right in identifying the species, then the description is rather limited, and only some plants have 2 central spines, many plants have a lot more.

mammillaria meyranii
Page 1 of 1